Sunday, October 9, 2005

Rome: DAY 26 FITNESS & FRIENDS

TWENTY-SIXTH DAY
FITNESS & FRIENDS
October 9, 2005

Yesterday, I went to the Gym.  Small, somewhat crowded during the late morning but with enough stuff for me to do my little cardio and weight workout.  I will not have a personal trainer but I think that is because I don’t know how to ask for one.  Once again, I am the oldest guy in the gym, but I am used to it.  As with all things Italian, I cannot work the elliptical machine and since I can’t speak Italian I don’t know how to ask.  I finally get it going and end up with a decent 25 minutes with some actual sweat.  To be sure, the weights are in Kilograms.  At least, I have that one down, 2.2 pounds to the Kilo.  I am lifting somewhat lighter here one, because I have not lifted for a month and two because I have no one to spot for me.  Still, I am in the gym. 

Later after our shopping for Sunday dinner (we have decided to eat at home on all Sundays as most restaurants are not open), we go to lunch with new friends from Oakland. Bonnie and Abraham Elterman.  He is a painter and we have common friends at Magnolia, Don and Ira Farnsworth and David Kimball.  Our restaurant in Monteverde is very good.  Called Scarpone, it has really a great feel and the food was fab.  It is big by Italian standards, but the service was good and the bill in range. 

Our wonderful friends from Sonoma who spend winters in Lucca came to the Academy to see our digs.  They came from their spot to pick-up a car.  I could get jealous, but a car in Rome is totally nuts.  It never stopped raining the entire day and they arrived soaked.  We showed them around and then caught up on what it is like to live in Italy.  We went to Donald’s favorite Roman Restaurant, Othello.  He first went there when he was at Rhode Island School of Design 30 years ago.  It is in the Centro and comfortable and fun.  Bob loved talking to the waiter and the waiter loved talking to Bob.  Perfect.

The prices were moderate and the food ok, my Roasted Lamb was a little on the done side but the company and ambiance were fun.  Kim is adamant about not letting me ride in the rain, so last night it was the bus again.  Bob and Donald walked us to the Piazza Venezia via Marguta Street and the new Art Hotel.  Our friends Ed and Schoen who are coming next week will love this place and the location is great, near the Spanish Steps.  We finally got a bus that we didn’t have to either run for or wait for.  The rain just stopped.     

No comments:

Post a Comment