Monday, October 17, 2005

Rome: DAYS 35-36 THICH TAKES OVER

THIRTY-FIFTH DAY
THICH TAKES OVER
October 17 and 18

Finally, a down day at least I thought it was.  We have been very busy, trying to do it all.  We might be getting close.  Kimberly goes to Italian class and I have sort of a quiet day. I took the rental car back and surprised myself by taking the right tram and bus back to the Academy.  I take the moment to meditate with my pal Thich Nhat Hahn.  Apparently, this incredible guy has been writing books about meditation for years but my new best pal, Michael Kahn alerted me to his books.  I have been thinking for a long time that I wanted to take on some of the questions of mortality. I have been talking to therapists and shrinks for years about some of these issues but not solving much.  I think I really was too busy.  My friend Peter Lynch, one of those sort of special feeling people turned me onto Dr. Michael Kahn. Well, it turns out that Kahn is about 80 and only sees about 8 people a week.  I got in sometime early this year.  What a special person. I thought he had lots of solutions to the kinds of questions that I was asking myself.  Since I started seeing Michael I have lost about 20 pounds, begun sleeping better, been less cranky, felt younger and some other good stuff.  He is easy and a sweet man, fun to talk to and remembers all the hard stuff.  Genuine proof that getting older doesn’t mean that you can’t still get most of what you want.  So a new addition, meditation and a good feeling sometimes.  Thanks Peter and Michael. 

Feeling revived, but worried about eating too much,  I go to the gym.  Last week the gym cost 15E a week, but a mistake has been made and now the price is 20E, still not too bad.  They are open every day but Sunday from 8 until about 10PM.  Most of the action is classes for the local women.  I have still not seen a man in any of the classes.  It is an active place and the equipment is ok although I wish they had my elliptical.  My workouts are parallel to mine at home.  The gym has always been an unfailing way for me to feel good.  I guess I think that it is some sort of health protection.  A little doubles squash would go a long ways here.  The tournament that I have sponsored for the last 15 years is being played at the end of October and I will miss it.  My partner Hank Bruce just told me he was playing with John Campodonidco, a great team for sure. They should be the odds on favorites for the final in the old man’s division unless Hank plays in the usual 4 classes that he wants to play and gets too tired.  Well, Campo will carry him.

Later I meet with my friend Kristin Jones.  She wants to do a print project about her Piazza project on the Tiber.  I think I am helping, but it is unclear what we are doing.  It is mostly about how to finance this great idea.  I know a lot about print but the real issue is the dough.  No surprise, but I wish I could offer something other than money.  Her friend Pia who works at Temple U in Rome is going to see a local printer who all the big artists in Rome like to work with.  He has only one name, Bula.  We will meet \him this week and see what he can do to help.  More later. 


Our day ends with dinner at the Academy.  It is always fun and the fellows who actually get free food sort of have to show up.  They are a nice group of artists, architects, historians and classicists.  The food usually is generally bad, but the conversation carries the evening. We are terribly lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment