Thursday, October 20, 2005

Rome: DAY 38 SINGING IN THE RAIN

THIRTY-EIGHTH DAY
SINGING IN THE RAIN
October 20 and 21

It feels like a long time between words.  Naturally, things are happening and for us they seem central to our life in Roma.  The rains have come to our part of Italy once again.  On our Thursday calendar we have guests from the foreign capitol of Rumania, Bucharest.  Lauren and Keith Unke and Keith’s mom Martha are here with my latest niece Caitlin.  Caitlin is one year old and to make sure my brother reads this, she is the cutest kid in a million miles.  Speaking all languages from Rumanian to English she confounds us with her brilliance.  We feel bad for them because the rain will really cramp their visit to Rome.  They are leaving for Florence on the Eurostar in the early evening and only have the day.  They made an excellent choice and have taken a bus route around Rome that protects them from the rain and at the same time they get to see some of the sights.  It is a two-hour ride.  We decide to meet for lunch at a fancy restaurant that Kimberly has wanted to try called Dal Bolongese.  In the meantime, the rain lets up and mia moglia agrees to ride to the Piazza Popolo on the scooter. Silly girl, about two minutes from our start it begins raining hard and then harder.  Kim is great and doesn’t say much, but this is not where she wants to be.  Lunch is at 1:30 and we arrive around 25 minutes early.  After all, my name is Blattner and we don’t want to be late for our date.  The rain starts really pounding; I get hell from a cop who tells me I am going the wrong way on a one-way street.  I knew that.  We disembark the motorino about a block from the square and duck for cover at a small bar.  Both of us are soaked through to the skin.  Kim starts a conversation in Italian that has everyone in the place smiling and I decide a quick scotch is a small part of the answer.  We get a short break from the rain and move on up Via Ripetta to the square.

From the second you enter Dal Bolongese you know that you have made a good choice.  It is filled with Romans top to bottom and not the lower tier.  These are the folks with the bread and the Euros.  It reminds me of a wonderful French restaurant (names? I don’t know names) in Paris with brass chandeliers, leather chairs, a great looking bar and zillions of regulars seated in the right spots.  We are led up to the top floor where our guests including Caitlin the great are waiting.  They are in good form despite the weather and have had a fine morning.  This is the first place that we have been to that does not have the menu in Italian AND English. There are other tourists about, but I would guess that none are in the first floor right spot.  Because we have the kid, our place on the top floor is perfect.  I will say that Ms. C was great about the long Italian lunch.  We manage to get food ordered, but it was not so easy.  Nobody seemed disappointed, but someday ask Keith about the Misto Bolito and the several sauces that came with it.  Lots of sharing and conversation and really great to see Lauren et al. 

It does not astonish me that I am getting a cold.  My guide and translator tells me nobody ever got a cold from being wet, it’s all about germs, but who believes that.  I still have my faithful gym in front of me.  Should I go, big decision? I go and do my Thursday free weight workout.  I stop for Flu Vaccine (just like home, they don’t have it today) and buy some meds like Sudafed, which I really hate.  The cold is rushing at me and by dinner time even with the drugs I am feeling punk.  I last through a lifetime (1-1/2 hours) of a  dinner and excuse myself looking to the miserable night ahead.  Correcto- sleep is at a premium and the Kleenex is going fast.  We have a wonderful tour of the Vatican excavations this morning and I am dying (ha) to go. 


Can you believe that Kimberly? I once again convince her the rains have stopped and Voila we are in them again.  But not before I have gone to my favorite bank teller, Roberta to pick up my checkbook.  I have beaten the system, the Euro is mine.  She gives me 10 checks, and suggests that should be plenty for our stay. She is the only woman in the Banco Lovorno branch and has been assigned to me because she speaks some English. Certainly, more then my weak one word Italian.  She is cute and young with a wonderful Southern Italian olive complexion.  She asked me on one of our visits how I could be a Visiting Scholar at the Academia Americana if I was so old.  Sure puts a guy in his place. Because of my condition (runny nose, tearing eyes and sore throat) my intention is either to get Kim to tell you about this exciting tour of the underground Vatican and the search for the grave of St Peter or to wait for another day.  We are off to an open studio put on by the wonderful visual artist, Andrew Lyght.  A very charming man who is leaving next week.  More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment