Saturday, October 1, 2005

Rome: DAY 19 KIMBERLY STEALS THE KEYS

NINETEENTH DAY
KIMBERLY STEALS THE KEYS
October 1, 2005

It is fall here.  We woke up late last night and put on a blanket for the first time since our arrival.  The studio is much quieter with the windows closed.  I always wonder where everybody is.  In general I do most of my writing around 6PM and the 4th floor of the Academy is very still. 

Yesterday seemed like pure pleasure.  We met an artist from Oakland by the name of Abraham Elterman. He and his wife Bonnie are here for two weeks.  I am always surprised when the artist is from the bay area and I have never seen his work.  He is mid career and among other things, he and his wife have a son at Northwestern as well as three other boys.  Nice couple, great lunch at Il Cortile in Monteverde, the neighborhood behind the Academy, and is reputed to have the best Antipasti in Rome.  I would say it is very good and a nice walk from our place. None of our meals have been terribly expensive, yesterday was about 45 Euro but add about .25 to every dollar spent and all of a sudden 40 is 50.  Two years ago when we were in Rome, it was exactly the other way so it all evens out. 

We went to a big dinner party last night in Trastevere at the apartment of Kristin Jones, my motorino friend.  She had a bunch of artists and friends over for a wonderful meal of some sort of stuffed pasta.  You take large sheets of pasta and coat them in some oil and then stuff large quantities of spinach and ricotta cheese into them and roll.  They are about 5 inches in diameter.  Before baking you slice them and put a little more oil on.  They bake up in about 20 minuets and then you serve with a lovely sweet red tomato based sauce.  One of the guests brought some homemade bread.  I think that in Rome that is like bringing coals to Newcastle.  The bread that we buy is outstanding, equal even to the great Acme and other Bay Area breads.  It’s too bad I don’t like food.  I could have a hell of a time over here if I did. 

The guests were charming and as we were leaving we collected some of the names of people we thought we might see again.  Little did we know that my great editor and the head of the style section of this blog would take some guy’s coat instead of her own.  In his coat he had his car keys.  What a surprise that when I picked up the phone this morning to see if we had messages that indeed we did.  They figured that I had taken the coat instead of my own.  Of course, we missed the message when we came in about 1AM last night.  So we basically stranded this couple down in the heart of Trastevere.  I called the girlfriend, Lucy this AM who lives very close, so we met them for coffee and exchanged Kim’s coat for her friend’s model.  They were fine with the coat fiasco and friendly, glad it all worked out.  I wonder how my humor would have been at 1AM   I am working on my meditation and will soon be in a Zen state where nothing will bother me. 


Friends from home start arriving soon; we are ready.  We now know buses, three star monuments and lots of good places to go either to sit and watch or sit and eat.  It takes longer then we had thought to get the rhythm down.  It is very different from touring.  As many of you know, Northwestern has the week off, that may be considered a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment