Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Rome: DAY 43 WORKIN’ IN ROME

FORTY-THIRD DAY
WORKIN’ IN ROME
October 25 and 26

Monday was a down day.  Oh well, they happen.  I did get to the gym and we did make a great dinner in our communal kitchen, but even the wine tasted spritzi.  I spent part of the time getting ready for my paper making class at Temple U.  Italian class is Kim’s new love and she is in overdrive trying to get it all. 

We exploded into Tuesday.  Kim has decided she is not getting enough of Rome so she is taking Tuesday morning tours with a wonderful guide, Nancy, who has been recommended by lots of different friends.  She is off to see a church in Trastevere and I beg off in preparation for my one and only classroom experience with Temple students.  I first go to my secret gym to work out.  It is like a salvation for me to be there.  It is amazing to me that I still speak almost no Italian, but the people in the gym are very nice and the place seems comfortable and sort of like an old shoe.  I think I am a little nervous about teaching  the class.  I come back to the Academy and review my notes and gather all the papers that I have been collecting - my own hand paper and the paper we bought from Fabriano.  Because I am on the scooter I find a way to roll up the paper and put it in the backpack.  I hit the streets and once again central Rome is closed due to something or nothing or whatever.  The traffic is intense on the Lungotevere (how about that, the roads that run along the river are called Lungotevere even though the names change every couple of blocks) due to the shutting down of the city.  Thanks to the Roman Gods for the motorino, which allows me the chance to cut in and out of traffic, like the rest of the Roman lunatics.  I get so involved that I drive by Temple which necessities a complete circle into Borghese Park and Villa Guilia.  I look behind me and me backpack is open.  My valued paper is coming out.  In the middle of heavy traffic I am able to stop and get myself back together but it almost got away.  Back for another run on Temple U. and I find it.  After trying to find a place to park my scooter, I look behind me and the paper is gone.  Another causality of the Roman Wars!  I can’t believe it; my whole lesson plan is based on showing the paper.  I was going to compare my simple efforts to the hand made paper I bought at Fabriano.  Not to be the case, but one must muddle on. 

It turns out that the kids were great and we made some nice paper even though we had no Hollander beater, no sizing, no felts and no real vat or couching table.  All of the above are part of the whole paper making enterprise. The man who teaches the class, Mario Tellari, is such a lovely guy and everybody participates.  Every student made some paper and I gave a short history of paper that I had condensed down to half an hour.  Nobody fell asleep.  The Dean came downstairs for the last few moments.  We had fun.  I was exhausted, but our day had just begun.

We went to a friend’s house for dinner.  Christine is from SF and Gerry and Bill Brinton from Sonoma let her know we were coming.  She has a small flat near the Campo de Fiori.  It is charming and would have been ok for us but way too small.  Her friend Valentina is the major contemporary art dealer in Rome and knows the big guys; she represents Sol Lewitt and lots of others.  It was all very civilized and fun, when we leave it is close to midnight.  We walk to a bus stop (Kim’s rule – no motorino with alcohol) and sleep is welcomed.

This morning I took a group of fellows and visitors to Mario’s private studio to make monoprints.  This has been an exercise in organizing and planning. Our group was made up of seven and we took the Academy van.  I had to take a driving test from Giovanni in the early AM and I got an international driver’s license for the trip.  His studio is very like Sonoma and feels good.  People start making art and everybody made a monoprint.  I think they had fun.  It has been a busy couple of days.  We took some of Kennedy and Kelsey’s friends out to dinner a couple of weeks ago and they are back and want to go to lunch. 


We meet them at a place in Trastevere that we think we like and eat way too much.  I do recommend Checcio on Benadetta as the place where you can gain 20 pounds in any one sitting.  We drink the wine, we eat the food, they send more, we eat it.  I feel like a stuffed animal.  We stumble up the hill just in time for a nap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment