Friday, October 7, 2005

Rome: DAYS 24-25 WET AND WONDERFUL

TWENTY-FOURTH DAY
WET AND WONDERFUL
October 7 and 8

It has been raining in Rome for the last four or five days.  We are apparently in the middle of some kind of low-pressure zone.  It is like being in a constant thunderstorm with both lightening and thunder at all times of the day and night.  We had weeks of beautiful weather previous to this so it is some kind of catch up.  One of the things you never have to do when you have a car is wait for the bus in the rain or get on the scooter to make an appointment in the rain.  We have no car.  My new friend who teaches at Temple U in Rome takes the bus everywhere.  He doesn’t drive and won’t ride a scooter.  The other day I had to meet him at Temple to prepare for the class in papermaking that I will co teach with him.  We figured out our demo and schedule then met the dean, an American expat, Kim Strommer.  He is nice guy and took some time with me to tell me how CCA should be sending their students to Temple Rome for a semester.  It would be great if CCA had a possible semester abroad.

  I was then forced into the uncomfortable situation of riding the motor back home in the rain and sort of not knowing where I was going.  Around the Vatican there are series of tunnels, terminals and roadways that discreetly crisscross, and that is where it got complicated.  I go on the wrong road and into a long tunnel that ended up far from my intended destination, the Academy.  The sky kept getting darker, the clouds more ominous, and the rains came.  Standing on the motorino in the rain and trying to read a map is not my idea of fun.  It will make you concentrate.  I have this book that has section maps of Rome.  You find the street you are on and then look it up, the index tells you what section of the map to consult and then gives you the coordinates inside that section.  After you find out where you are then you have to find out how to get from that section back to the section you want to go to.  That might not be too bad in your warm and dry car but it seems to take longer when you are in a raging rainstorm.  It all seems so crazy but some part of me likes figuring it out.  Well, I was only five miles or so off the course and made my way back to the home turf. 

After I dried off I tried to get Kim to ride down our hill to look at our next apartment not far from the center in the ghetto.  Still raining.  She lasted long enough to get to the bus stop before her tour took over, and she promptly decamped for the tram.  We met on Pesheria, street of the Fisherman (really an alley) where our agent said there was a funky but larger space.  It is in the Ghetto, which I talked about earlier. It is steps from the Tiber, feet from the Temple of Apollo, blocks from the Palatine, 10 minutes from the Pantheon, in other words in the center.  It’s also on a cobbled street with many shops nearby. It is funky and poorly furnished, has no charm and is not cheap; we immediately decide to take it.  The truth is that with all our looking, we never got close to what we wanted and so have decided to give it in and get on with Rome and everything else we want to do.  So while not disappointed we could have wished for more.  I did get Kimberly to ride all the way back from the Ghetto to the Academy, still in the rain. We stayed in for the rest of the night.

I had a banking appointment yesterday.  JP Morgan has managed to do the impossible, and I will have a non-resident bank account.  They have a relationship with the Bank of Lovorno and the closest branch is in another segment of Rome.  I was told to be there early, as it gets very busy.  So I plunged out into the rain again, this time at early rush hour.  I almost got there without help but no, a wrong turn into the Pope’s Latin American Seminary where a young Mexican priest spoke some English.  My bank appointment was OK, it only took an hour but one of managers helped.  As I was riding home a guy went off his scooter while making a 40 MPH cut on slick roads. Boom and then 30 seconds later 300 yards further another guy did the same thing. Slowing down does not seem to be an option.  I am getting beeped a lot but so what.  I want to stay on the bike. 

It was raining so hard that Kimberly made me take the bus to the Borghese Gallery all the way across Rome.  We had a 5PM appointment and left our place at 3:30.  We took the little electric bus across the Centro.  It was jammed and sweaty, smelled like wet clothes and went really slow.  We got off at the right stop and promptly turned the wrong way.  When we finally got to the gallery it was after 5.  Over l 1/2 hours on the buses - never again.  The gallery is still and always will be spectacular with Bernini and Caravaggio dominating the guilded rooms.  There is so much, too much and it will take more than one visit.  We should have the time to get back.  We were there for about an hour and could be there for a couple of years. 


When we returned to the street and out of the park, a guy with a private car offered us a ride back to the place for 20E, which was an easy decision.  Part of what is going on for me has to do with my age, inflexibility, and general crankiness.  Change is not easy and this change in our living style has been difficult for me.  Still, it feels right to be here.  I am committed to no more buses no matter what.  The scooter makes Rome so much more accessible for me.  In addition, I have added a gym component and am lifting again.  They have some sort of elliptical that I am learning.  I think that will help too.  Kim remains a jewel and is on board for this experience not minding the hassles.  Our friends from Sonoma, Bob and Donald come today for dinner, and we look forward to their arrival.  

No comments:

Post a Comment