Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Rome: DAY 9

NINTH DAY
September 21, 2005

The traffic in Rome is unbelievable.  I am sure this is no news as it has always been reported that it is hard to get around in this city.  There are lots of cars and no surprise; more motorized two wheel vehicles then anyplace else in the Western world.  I remember Vietnam and Thailand as having lots of bikes and scooters, looks like a tie.  We have been walking almost everywhere when time and distance make it possible.  There is a system for crossing the street or all pedestrians would be dead.  Here is what I think it is—look for the crosswalk.  It is insane to cross anywhere else although many locals do.  Look both ways and wait for a clear patch from the oncoming cars and scooters.  Start going across and then look left and make eye contact with the traffic coming from that side.  If you make no eye contact, do not move until you do.  When you can cross, do it at maximum speed.  There are a few other rules, mainly once you start, try not to stop.  Nobody expects you to stop, and even though they act like they are going to hit you, they probably won’t. If they do hit you, I understand the Emergency Rooms are first class and everybody has insurance.  I continue my hunt for a scooter although I am afraid I am not legal.  There are some other possibilities and I will stay the course.  This walking will kill you. 

Kim went out yesterday to look for more apartments.  I saw her leave the Academy on foot because she couldn’t get a cab due to rush hour rain.  We know this from our own little burg.  She was going to see 3 apartments and then meet me at the Pantheon for lunch followed by one more viewing near this remarkable monument.  I go to the appointed spot on time and Kim showed up about 10 minutes late and rather out of breath.  She sort of misconnected with the agent, and when he found her they ended up walking through half of Rome to the viewings - not even a good apartment and prices seem to be rising by the day.  Short-term rentals are dear and so far plain.  We did see a sort of improvement when our next meeting showed us a five-floor walk-up right near the center - a nice place but a big walk-up and on the edge of being priced as extortion.  We have now moved our target price up another 30%.  This last place does have a terrace and sort of modern kitchen; we could live there.  We will have a chance to look around a little more before they try to find some other fools.  We walked back to the tram stop and finally looked at the clock.  Kim had essentially been running around Rome for 7 hours and the hunt continues.  She is a hero and very sure of herself out pounding the bricks for our next stop.  We keep thinking we will find our spot. 


My little nighttime booze group met again last night.  Essentially, nobody brought any anything.  I will return tonight with Grappa and see who shows up.  My guess is we will get a crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment