Friday, November 11, 2005

Rome: DAY 59 HOMEWARD BOUND

FIFTY-NINTH DAY
HOMEWARD BOUND
November 11, 2005


The captain announces over the speaker that he has never seen weather this good, even in July in this part of the Atlantic.  The entire week has been bright, sunny, cloudless and mild.  So the Gods are good as we move into our final day and night of cruising.  We take our umpteenth bus tour and this one cements my conviction that I will never take another organized tour from the boat, at least, not until tomorrow in Lisbon. 

The Algarve on the Atlantic coast of Portugal is a favorite hangout of the British who like its low prices and sunny beaches and many golf courses.  Our tour to nowhere takes about 4 hours and yields very little of interest.  The usual suspects—a castle, a fort and a church are visited as well as a cork factory.  Then because there is so much to see and do, we drive in a big bus up a hill the size of Mt. Tam that takes us about an hour to see the view of the coastline.  I get sick from the curves and at the top we find a schlocky crafts store and not much more.  This one takes the cake.  We get back to the ship and take off for Lisbon and our disembarkation very early tomorrow.  

We have enjoyed the cruise.  The Windstar ships are small and casual, the crew  incredibly friendly and we have had fun.  So as we grind our way up the coast of Portugal I turn my thoughts to Rome.  We do have another day in Lisbon and I have never been there, but I find myself concentrating on the next experience.  I will have to speak to my meditation coach who says, “in the here, in the now.”  My appetite for touring is thoroughly satisfied.  I am thinking that when we get back I will try to do my research for a few days and try to establish a routine for living in our new spot.  It might not be a bad idea to stay low for a bit.  

Thanksgiving is around the corner and half of the NFL season has been played.  There is a bar in Rome that plays some of the games on Sunday night and I suspect that it might not be a bad idea to go.  The weight of not seeing kids, family and friends is weighing slightly heavy. Moving into our new apartment will mean a whole new set of challenges both linguistically and otherwise.  My associate is improving rapidly so we should do ok.  Our job is to make this new space as pleasant as possible so that it feels good to us. So a bit homesick coupled with another changing circumstance has me over thinking the near term.  In the meantime, as I write, the seas have picked up and finally we are rocking and rolling toward Lisbon.  I think I will try some Scotch therapy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment