Sunday, February 26, 2006

Scotch Therapy

February 26, 2006

Well, this is a first for me.  We are on the way home from Hawaii on the Red Eye at 37,000 feet.  I am such an uncomfortable flier and I can’t sleep on planes very well, so I thought I could continue my journal.  We are smack in the middle of the Pacific Ocean right at the halfway point.  I tried the usual Scotch therapy but no luck.  I had a sleep aid with me but decided not to take it.   Our trip was with our two San Francisco grandchildren and their Mother, Diane. I think they had a good time.  I know they saw lots of whales and did some snorkeling.  They spent many hours in the Napili Kai pool.  Our weather was not very good the first half of the week but it turned around midweek so we had some nice warm Hawaiian days.  Kim and I didn’t do much but it was pleasant and easy. 

The big news of the week was that my son Charlie and his wife Dionne have had their fourth child, a girl weighing 5 pounds 11 ounces.  Mother and baby are apparently fine although Dionne’s pregnancies are generally tough.  But delivery was quick and all seems well.  Of course, we knew about the baby coming but always consider it a miracle when it is over.  Her name will be Sofia, although I don’t know the spelling.  A beautiful name.  This family lives in Juneau, Alaska and so we won’t be going up soon.  Juneau is hard to get too and very cold too.  As usual, in all families that is not the entire story but we are going to work hard to get to see Charlie’s whole family this summer.  So I am Papa for the sixth time, I think that will be it until the dear Whitney starts making us young again with her brood. 


I am struggling to get going on my book-writing project.  I must spend the next couple of days rereading my Roman blog and start to make notes on what has meaning and what themes will resonate with the old geezers who I think will be the audience for this piece.  It is ultimately about life as I see it and my relationships and also what can be learned even if learned late, about achievement and the curative of accomplishment. Who knows if this is possible from me?  I do intend to find out if I give it half a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment