Saturday, February 11, 2006

Getting Stronger

February 11, 2006

Getting back into my exercise routines is a process not without pain and some suffering.  My trainer Achim, who is a totally nice guy, has been easing me back into my free weight program.  I have always loved being in the gym and Achim is the best trainer I have ever had.  He is a big guy, about 6 feet tall and weighing in at about 270.  He is not fat, just big.  His calves are like big round fence posts and he is thick in the shoulders with huge arms.  Of course, like every other trainer he shaves his head.  The whole effect could scare you if you didn’t know how good he was at protecting his clients from hurting themselves.  Because of my new hips, lifting can be dangerous but in the care of this trained pro I feel safe.  This in no way means that he goes easy on me.  It means that our exercises are designed to not injure me and at the same time get me stronger. Not only am I the oldest guy in the gym but basically damaged goods.  If it is not the shoulder on a given day, it is the knees or the hips.  Oh well, I still love it.   Now playing squash and golf has made almost everything sore, but it’s the kind of sore that I like. 


Yesterday, my friend Lou, the most competitive guy in the world, and I played golf.  It was a grand day in Sonoma.  The course was still wet but it did not hamper the game.  We walked 18 holes and I came home tired and stiff.  Incidentally, I won $1.00 which considering my sucky game was a triumph.  Lou never gave an inch and we fought our way around the course in under 4 hours.  Lou will never be Tiger, but like him he never gives in.  Once home and after a short nap, I climbed into the hot tub for a long soak.  This helps my game, which is definitely early season.  I need the fairways to be harder and the greens slower.  This is the year that one time, I will break 80.  I got close last year with an 81 and that was fun.  I think I followed the 81 with a 101 but still a good score for me.  This is a game that should be played from childhood and is very complex.  It is a mind bender and rewards the cooler head.  Apparently, I can’t take too much pressure.  If you stand over the ball long enough you are sure to miss the shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment