Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Rome: DAY 119-120 VISITING FORT KNOX

VISITING FORT KNOX
January 9-10, 2006

We have a list.   What is on the list?  Mainly, it consists of places and things we want to see before we leave.  Of course, there are also the items related to leaving the apartment, getting our things home, paying our various bills, and relieving ourselves of possessions and furniture that seem to have accumulated during our four and a half months in Roma.  Our objective as “short timers” is to check-off as many things as possible, so we are busy. 

I was able to drag Kim away from the churches of Rome.  She has now viewed at least 200 of them (an independent audit will confirm my number.)  Once again my friend Mario Teleri has arranged something that cannot be seen except by special arrangement.  We begin at the Colla Graphia, which is the repository for over 23,000 original copper plates printed by Italian artists deemed to be historically important.  It is like getting into Fort Knox and feels like it too.  They are stored in an underground bunker that protects them against everything from fire to atomic warfare.  Part of the storage is basically under the Trevi Fountain.  There is a lot of copper down there including Piranesi who has over 1000 plates in the collection.  It is fascinating.  They also have a print studio in the building that is expansive and has wonderful light.  They used to do 2nd strikes of artist’s copper like the Louvre still does and sells in its museum shop, but because the plates were wearing down they stopped.  Now they are beginning a project to digitally remake plates they would like to reprint and will start selling them at affordable prices in the next couple of years.  We did not have time to see their restoration lab and hurried over to the Biblioteca Casanatense, which houses the collection of books donated to the Dominicans by Cardinal Girolamo Casanate.  It was started after his death in 1700 and is a huge collection of books printed before 1500 called incanabula.  The total collection is over 600,000 books. We were able to see their most famous old ones, including a medical text with woodblock drawings printed in 1535.  I had seen pages of this book at the American Academy several months ago but the complete book was even more impressive.  The main hall is immense with a three or four story height, skylights and shelves of old books to the ceiling.  Kimberly was thrilled to have come with us. 

We bid Mario goodbye until he comes to visit us in San Francisco this June. He made so many things possible for me in Rome; I hope I can show him the best of life in Northern California.  We followed our privileged morning with lunch with Roberto Mannino, my paper-making friend.  We are bringing home some of his work which I think is stunning.  In very unItalian fashion, we ate early and lightly. The BANK OF LAVORO looms in front of me like a great white iceberg.  It feels like potential disaster, but I must get my account closed before we leave.  

The weather in Rome has been bright and sunny for the last 3 days.  It is cold but dry, blessedly.  We will divide and conquer.  Kimbo will stay at the apartment to prepare for the goodbye party and garage sale combo that she has instigated.  I will get to go to the bank.  I have all of my unused checks, all of my statements, my passport and other related items.  What else could they want?  Well, they wanted a check I wrote to make a gift to the American Academy at the end of December. When I checked with the Academy on Monday, they had not yet deposited the check.  I ask them to hold it so that I could replace it with an American $ check and retrieve my Euro dollar check.  Up to the Academy and then on to my bank for the crucifixion.  I was prepared for the worst.  Nobody was going to get me churning after my nice morning. This time I was at the head of the line to get back into the bank after the lunch break (3 hours).  The same woman started the process and after much paper work and filling out of forms she advised me that it would only cost E125.00 to close the account.  What a great deal the Italian banks have.  They get to keep your money, pay no interest, make monthly charges to your account and then charge a fee to close the account.  I said nothing.  Upon further reflection I wonder what lunacy made me think having a bank account in Italy was a necessity.  I now have the money.  Riding home from the bank in triumph, I pass the Imperial Forum of ancient Rome and say a short prayer to the Gods that look over this fascinating place. 

Kim did a great job on the party/sale.  Our apartment is once again cold and bare.  Lots of people from the Academy and from Kim’s Italian class came to say their goodbyes.  I considered it a success because she ended up with more money from the sale than the cost of the party.


This morning having released ourselves from our possessions, we walked to Sant Ivo de Sapienza to visit Boromino’s magnificent architectural contribution to Rome.  His curves and buttresses, ceilings and lines are so stylish and tasteful.  Than, another short walk down the street to the French church that is home to 5 Caravaggio’s completely restored to original color and beauty.  Just another Roman banquet.

No comments:

Post a Comment