Monday, January 9, 2006

Rome: DAY 118 GENIUS IN MY HANDS

GENIUS IN MY HANDS
January 9, 2006

I guess you could call this my typical Roman day.  The usual, the good, the bad and the totally impossible are what make this trip so great and testing all at the same time.  It is later in the evening than I usually write.  We have been watching “American Splendor”, on our computer.  We had seen it before on the big screen, but it had a sweet luster even on the computer.  Watching movies on the computer, especially one with a 12” screen is not easy; you must pay attention.  The sound sucks and the picture is rotten but when you get a good film it doesn’t matter.  The everyman nature of Harvey Pekar, a guy you couldn’t stand for more then 10 minutes feels like the truth.  No review here but a nice ending to a strange day. 

I was determined to close my bank account today.  It did not happen.  The bank manager and I had one of those seminal moments that only can happen when two cultures collide. I kept thinking throughout our discussion that I was the customer.  I am not exactly sure what he was thinking, but it didn’t have much to do with  “customer”.  More likely, why do I have to deal with his guy?  At one point in our discussion he said, “I do not have any obligation to speak to you in English.  I will not close your account “.  My response is probably not exact but it had something to do with me saying, “Why are you being so rude to me, all I want to do is close my account”.  This was followed by his saying, “If you don’t bring in all your unwritten checks, I will never close your account.  This is not America, it is Italy and we have our rules”.  I will return tomorrow to do exactly as he has suggested.  There is no way to overcome this Italian triumph.  It reminds me of a cop who has the power.  In retrospect, I don’t think opening the bank account was a very good idea.

I spent the morning with my friend, Mario Telari, printmaker, teacher and new friend.  I have asked Mario to come to San Francisco so that I may honor him with the same generosity that he has shown me.  We went to the Gabinetto of Prints and Drawings at the Farnesina Palace.  It is not the one that is now the French Embassy in Campo de Fiori but the one that the Chigi family built with them on the Trastevere side of the Tiber.  He had called in advance to arrange a special showing and they had gotten out all of the best things for me to see.  I was regaled by and actually held Piranesi prints, a Goya artist book, A. Durer drypoints and a fantastic Rembrandt print.  We looked at dozens of things from the 1400’s on, all prints on hand made paper.  What a moment for me. So special and delivered by a teacher who knew all the answers and all the history.  A wonderful couple of hours in a beautiful palace.  After we looked at the prints, Mario took me to the presentation hall, up a flight of marble stairs done in perspective with frescos on the ceiling.  The hall was painted in trompe l’oeil.  Mario explained that the frescos were done as if the floor never existed and we were looking at Rome from a terrace.  It was extraordinary.  Then to the drawing room for the piece de résistance, a Raphael fresco that was realized for the Pope.  Pope who, I can’t say but I bet he loved it.  It was a Roman moment. 


Kim came back from her morning of touring churches about Mary Magdalene in the same mood, feeling good about our time here and trying to get all of our lists done for our departure.  It keeps on happening, the juxtaposition of the really unbelievable and the trial of no language and cultural differences.  What will I do without this incredible stimulation?  Even with the most difficult Bank Manager this place is like a motion picture that never ends.  It is not easy for me but neither is golf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment