Friday, January 6, 2006

Rome: DAY 115 NAPLES AND ROMA

NAPLES AND ROMA
January 6, 2006

My return from Naples via a new and faster Eurostar was uneventful.  Because today is a holiday in all of Italy, the train yesterday was completely full with vacationers.  I was lucky enough to be in first class as all the seats in the train were taken. 

Naples was ok.  The food was great and the hotel a pleasant interlude from our apartment in Rome.  On the morning of my return, I decided to go first to the Archeological Museum and from there to the train station.  Isn’t it the Italian way that combines the best and worst of experiences? The Museum which is mainly the treasure house of the remains of Pompeii and Herculaneum was monumental in scale and would really require a couple of days to get through.  The taxi driver from the hotel was a nightmare and a rip-off.  Oh well, it doesn’t matter and I am getting used to it.  Not only did he overcharge me, but he also lied about the price and at the end did the usual by pretending that he didn’t speak English.  He spoke English earlier, but somehow it deserted him when it came time to tell me how much he really wanted for the trip.


Naples is a big city with lots of terrible traffic and totally different from Rome.  Every single vehicle runs the lights and the major streets are like parking lots.  On the other hand the setting is beautiful and on the ocean.  I would go back if only to get Kimbo into that Museum.  

No comments:

Post a Comment