Sunday, December 25, 2005

Rome: DAYS 103-104 LUCCA TO ROMA

LUCCA TO ROMA
December 25-26

After our long lunch we stagger back to the Palazzo Roberto/Donaldo and spend the rest of the day trying to digest the midday meal.  It is a cozy time for contemplation and quiet.  There is room in the apartment for all of that.  In the late PM we hit the streets for the Passaggiata.  In the US on Christmas Eve you won’t find much going on in the street, but this is Italy and Lucca and the main drag is jumping.  Lots of stores still open after 7 and it looks like all of Lucca is out for the stroll - very pleasant way to spend Christmas Eve.

On Christmas Day, Donald and Bob have planned a large American breakfast; after all we didn’t eat an evening meal last night.  Stan cooks up some pancakes along with some of the local ham, and maple syrup that someone has left from a previous visit; it all tastes good.  We open presents to much merriment and loads of picture taking.  It is great to be with friends on the holiday and they have planned well and taken care of everything.  I feel like I really needed the comfort so it was all the more special.  Bob and Donald’s gift is a famous pepper jelly; Stan and Noreen give me a picture of my locker at the Sonoma Golf Club, unused these 4 months and Kim delivers a handsome scarf.  I am rich with goods and friends and quietly touched by it all. We are plenty lucky. 

We must eat the traditional Christmas meal.  We are having turkey with stuffing, brussel sprouts, potatoes, ravioli and homemade pumpkin and apple pies.  Some good wine to go with it and a wonderful meal, again.  One of Bob and Donald’s friends has sent them the best smoked salmon from Denmark that we start the whole dinner with.  Too much, too much I say, but no, we keep on eating. 

On Monday, Kim and I make an early exit from Lucca.  I am put on the train by a crane that has been brought in for the special purpose of lifting me on.  What can I say?  It was fun to be out of Rome and riding the trains, seeing our friends, talking about home and in general being pretty American but experiencing Italy.  Donald and Bob have conquered Lucca and they love being there.  It is a special charming place and we hope to return in the future.  Just a quick mention of the Lucca wall that was built to resist invasion and it worked.  It is now the principle walking place outside of the shopping area, 3 miles in circumference and circles all of old Lucca.  We took a short walk in the rain on Christmas Eve and it was enchanting.


This time all trains are on time and we arrive Rome at about 2PM.  Like the veteran Romans that we are, we take the #64 to Torre Argentina and walk the 3 blocks to our place.  Hurray, the motorino is still there, we were worried, the heat is still working, we were worried, and it is very quiet on the streets.  When we do go out to our Internet point the streets have filled with the Roman walkers and it is a very lively crowd.  Is it good to be home?  It feels like our place, but San Francisco and Sonoma beckon me.  I am missing kids young and old, friends young and old, my favorite activities SVMA and CCA, my office and of course my wonderful old babies, the dogs. In the last several weeks we have been discussing coming home early.  We have decided that we will come back in mid January.  My project, while not complete, is not feeling very active and my touring skills have generally evaporated (how many churches can I see?).  It feels as if I am done. Kim has been very supportive even though she would prefer to stay. We have had a wonderful experience in a brave new world but home sounds very good to me.  I am slightly abashed to say that I am homesick, but I suppose that is what you would call it.  I keep telling myself that maybe it would be different if I hadn’t gotten the Mother of all Colds, but I suspect it would be the same.  Whitney is coming tomorrow and we are excited about that.  We will show her and her friend, Amy, a great time and then close this chapter of our lives and claim victory.  I still have some things to see and write and so will continue to journal until our landing in SF.  This all makes me a little sad, but I am upbeat about the next chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment