Thursday, December 1, 2005

Rome: DAYS 79-81 DECEMBER SHOWERS

SEVENTY-NINTH DAY
DECEMBER SHOWERS
December 1-2-3 

Last night Kimberly told me to be sure and put a lock on the back tire of the motorino, but somehow we got lost in our evening. When I went to get on the bike in the morning, the ignition had been tampered with.  Someone who noticed that it had no protection took the ignition cap off and was trying to steal the bike.  There is almost nothing that makes me madder then crimes against property.  Thievery is bad, but forgetting to super lock the scooter in Italy is stupid.  My motorino is a Honda 125, which is the biggest size that can be ridden here without a license. In addition, a new European Community law says that in order to ride with more than one person you must have at least a 125cc bike.  So, these new and well performing machines are the rage in Rome.  I think it is lucky that I escaped with so little damage and at the same time it is so irritating to have made the mistake.  It won’t happen again.  I was so pissed off that on Thursday night I had Kimberly write me a note in Italian that said, “If you touch this motorino again the Mafia will find you.”  My original concept was something more like, “If I catch you touching my motorino, I will kill you.”  Kim said no and then I tried to get, “If I catch you again, I will cut your balls off.”  The Mafia thing was my third choice.  I am now locking both wheels and hoping for the best.  At least putting the note on the macchina made me feel better. 

It is the end of the semester for the American students in Rome.  Many are going home for Christmas.  Temple University of Philadelphia has a big program here where I taught my papermaking class with my pal the printer, Mario Telari.  Mario invited me to the student show and many of his students had asked if I was coming.  My inflated ego made it impossible to refuse.  I cruised out the Lungotevere that borders the Tiber on my newly damaged goods and was greeted by many of the kids who had taken my class.  They wanted to show me their work and were enthusiastic and proud.  The work was not terribly promising but spirits were high and youth was abundant.  I am glad I went.  Education and art, the great collaboration, making art the driver that makes me feel really good.  I have been invited by Mario and the Dean to make another appearance next semester.  What a kick. 

I finally found the right gym in my new part of town.  It is a short 5-minute walk from the apartment, which makes it much closer than the place near the Academy.  It is clean and much more spacious with just enough equipment that is useful for me.  The best part of the gym is the shower.  We have suffered from low pressure both at the Academy and the apartment but finally, a first class hot and powerful shower.  What a blessing.  Oh, I forgot one thing, the soap.  In Amerika, we have soap in the shower but no, another thing to learn, bring your own soap.  Still a win all the way around.

Somehow, we get out of the apartment for dinner sort of late, 9:30PM.  They say Italians eat late but this is even late for them.  We walk to an unrecommended place that looks good.  Once inside we realize that there are very few people in a very big space.  Not only that, but the restaurant looks like a pizza place in the Chicago suburbs with hanging Chianti bottles, candles on the tables with dripping wax, grotto style brick walls and very kitschy lighting.  Well, after a wonderful Italian style Pizza and a not bad house red I was ready to recant, Chicago would like to be like Italy.  I don’t remember the name of the restaurant but won’t forget where it is. 

Friday dawns with the threat of more rain. We are now rain troupers and we don’t care.  I lie.  Nevertheless, we have ten people coming for dinner, a daunting task in our miniature kitchen.  We go shopping; it takes forever.  When you go to a store here you must do some sort of talking to the keepers.  Hi, how are you, how are the kids, da da da, whatever.  Each customer is a separate container filled with information that the shopkeeper must have.  It elongates the transaction.  No matter, it is friendly and open.  It makes me nervous during my turn because there are usually people waiting to make their purchases.  Kim would rather shop in the supermarket during rush hour because the waiting customers rattle her use of Italian, but I am sticking with the Italian way even if it makes me crazy waiting.  The food from the small shops is very fresh and somehow tastes better. 

We are expecting guests for the weekend, Jay and Rene from both the Bay Area and Bali and our friends from Sonoma, Bob and Donald.  Bob and Donald are residents of Lucca for about the same period of time that we are in Italy.  A real winter has arrived in Lucca, a rich old market town about an hour West of Florence.  We will visit them in Lucca for Christmas and will love to be with them and others friends from Sonoma.  In Rome, they are staying in a lovely new hotel about 5 minutes from our house. I joined them for a drink pre dinner and would recommend this hotel for both location and style.  It is called Albergo 47 and is on Via Teatro Marcello near the Tiber.  Rene and Jay are making their way around Europe and arrive just in time for our party from skiing in the French Alps.  They have come on the Eurostar train, which bears no resemblance to our Amtrak.  It is faster, cleaner, on time and new.  I guess that would make it different.  The tickets are not cheap but it is a crisp neat way to get around Europe.  Airfares are surprisingly inexpensive but getting to the take-off point takes time and effort.  I think I will take trains while on this continent. 

Our little palazzo is ready, food is cooked and guests arrive.  From the Academy we have Patrick and Manuela (he’s a Fellow in Italian studies and she’s an architect) a couple that have come to Rome from San Francisco and from the hood we have our friends who showed us around, Dena and Mark.  Everybody is in a good mood, wine is flowing and the energy is high.  Our meal of Chicken Kimberly, Pasta and Salad works and our debut is a success.

On Saturday morning, we have arranged to meet the Nancy D tour group at the Palazzo Madama, which is the Italian Senate building, a most beautiful palace situated between the Pantheon and Piazza Navona.  Bob and Donald arrive at the apartment and along with Jay and Rene, we set out on foot to march to the Senate.  We are to be on hand before 10AM as one Saturday per month is the only day this Medici wonderment is open to the public.  I am told by almost every expat who ever trod this planet that small things keep occurring no matter how many years you travel and how many places you go.  In this case it could not be truer.  By the time we reach Largo Argentina it is raining heavily.  Jay stops to buy an umbrella and I think he has completed his transaction so I keep on trudging in the rain at a faster than normal clip.  We turn left at Vittorio Emanuelle, the rain steadily increases until it is pouring and Rene discovers that Jay is not with us.  She races back to Argentina but does not find him. The group goes on toward the Senate and our meeting time and I go back to get my pal.  In the downpour I do not find him and after a few minutes I double back toward the Senate building and the group.  When I get there the line of people waiting is backed up for a block.  We are not worried about Jay; he is a veteran traveler and will end up at our apartment later.  We find out hours later that he has spent the morning hunting for organs in churches all over Central Rome.  But back to the Senate. Suddenly out of nowhere several Roman woman guides accost our guide, Nancy, to start shouting about how our group cut the line and did not in their words “respect the queue”. The confrontation is not only annoying and loud but also untrue and embarrassing.  I was probably not going on the tour anyway as it was in Italian, but Bob and Donald who finding it too irritating decide to defect with me and continue our hunt for Jay. I was surprised at the vehemence of the guide’s argument and the strident quality of the exchange.  It was unpleasant and felt more then vaguely anti-American.  The United States government is not very popular in Europe, but particularly in Italy the populace is strongly against the war in Iraq, which has been supported by the ever-lovable Berlusconi party.  The entire scandal of the US CIA and the moving of detainees through Europe has consumed a veritable forest of newsprint.  The CIA also took some big Muslim Cleric off the street in Milan and flew him to America.  The Italian government, which must have approved this operation, has filed for the extradition of the 22 agents from the CIA responsible for this action.  It is a sordid chapter.

In the meantime, what was a hard rain turns into a downpour and a quick walk through the cheap souvenir stands that are a holiday tradition in Piazza Navona is more then enough for my little band.  We try to stave off the rain with a coffee in the piazza at St Eustacio. Still no Jay, but we decide that we are wet enough and head home to dry off. 

Jay, who has made his appearance in the early afternoon, tells the story of trying to buy an umbrella and struggling with a street vendor who was trying to rip off his change.  Jay is an expert in computing and thinks he can get us on the Internet from our apartment.  We struggle with it and finally voila, he gets us on his network.  It is a pain and we must subscribe.  We will try to get an AOL update on Monday from our Internet café, but failing that I will finally give up my in-house Internet dream.  You can’t win them all. 

Our small band out-of-towners trots off to one of our favorites, Costanza, for an outstanding Italian meal.  The waiters are not fussy at Costanza and they never remember who ordered what dishes.  The food is very good and outweighs their interest in selling us their tired appetizers of Fried Artichoke, Salt Cod and Squash Flowers deep-fried. 


It seems to me that we have been very busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment