Friday, January 12, 2007

Vietnam: A BEER CALLED 333

January 12, 2007

Our first bike ride in Vietnam yesterday was a fun ride.  We literally left from the Dalat Airport on our new steeds.  Dalat is in the Central Highlands of the country and very scenic with multiple shades of green.  The altitude hovers in the Denver mile high range and the weather is fair and clear.  We have been joined by a new group of people who did not go on the Cambodian portion of the trip.  Lots of new names and faces to learn.   The original group of 10 really has bonded so we’ll see how the new group jells. On a B & R trip while the crowd age might be slightly elevated, the groups are defiantly fitter and more adventurous than the usual tourist bunch.  I look like a lineman in this group and my biking skills (mostly balance), which were never great, keep eroding with age.  Oh well, it is better to take an active roll than ride on a boat or bus. 


When you look around, the green rolling hills and deep narrow valleys bring back memories of hundreds of TV news openings showing Vietnam during the war.  You can imagine the light fog covering the higher elevations and the chill of the evening air.  Dalat was itself untouched by the war as both sides, Viet Cong and American, used the lakes and hotels as a place to rest from the war.  Over 1200 villas are said to line the ridges around this small but beautiful lake area.  

Our bike ride from the airport rolls over numerous hills.  We stop for lunch at a small roadside café where we have a complete vegetarian meal with the best spring rolls I have ever tasted.  They make a beer here called 333.  I remember it from my earlier visit.  Funny about stuff like that; when I came home from my 1992 trip I bought 333 as my house beer for a while and then forgot about it.  Still good.  After lunch the ride picked up steam with higher hills and stiffer climbs.  We stopped after about 20 miles and I was happy to get off the bike.  A hardier group of campers rode on another 15 miles up a steep climb that is considered an “optional” part of the program. I opted out.  This part of Vietnam grows lots of hothouse roses, marigolds, and vegetables.  The narrow valleys are green with rice paddies and coffee is a big crop with families drying beans in front of their houses.  

After a steep decent into the town of Dalat, we arrived at the Dalat Palace hotel. It looks like an old French chateau and the furnishings including an ancient wooden telephone are reminiscent of the 1920’s.  Wooden floors with oriental rugs, big armoires, and high ceilings are the rule.  Our bathroom has a claw foot bathtub.  But and it is a big one, they have wireless Internet.  After spending part of most everyday in Rome in the Internet Café, it is a luxury to have it in our room.  It seems that we are deep in the country now, far from the bustle of Saigon.

We have been advised that today is the hardest ride of the entire 10 days.  Kim has not trained for this week and I am not far behind.  We leave the hotel on bikes and head up into the ridges surrounding Dalat.  We wind through small villages and farms gently up through heavy morning traffic.  The guides and crew on this trip are outstanding and helpful about every detail.   They stand at every intersection and guide the traffic away from our group. We reach the halfway mark and the big hill.  It is about 3 miles at a difficult grade level.  I get about halfway up and call for the van.  Kim continues by me and up the hill she goes.  She is not fast but paces herself beautifully and summits right at the restaurant we will lunch in.  I am disappointed but feel great for Kim who is obviously pleased to have made the climb.  My legs were just not good today.  In fact, the ride back to the hotel was also filled with climbs that our guides made sure we did not know about until we saw them as we rounded curve after curve.  My legs felt like noodles when we finally get back to our room. It was a great day for Kimbo and she’s mighty pleased.  

They say the ride will get easier now, but I am not buying it based on the description of yesterday’s ride.  The ride back was supposed to be a simple glide but I found it bumpy and requiring lots of concentration.  In addition, we keep eating and thus defeat our own exercise.  We regroup and tour the very exotic local city market.  It is alive with fresh food and the variety of spices, dried fish and unknown fruit is staggering.  I buy some roasted cashews (just what I need after my great riding day) for about $5.00 US for a kilo.  So our half-kilo is 2.50; it seems cheap to me. Tomorrow we transit to our next destination.  I am not paying much attention to our progress up the coast but know that I wouldn’t mind an easier ride tomorrow and am glad to be missing the wet colder January of the Northern California.  It might be easier not to be riding a bike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment